Falling in love with Groningen
Valentine’s Day is coming up this week, so we’re here to serve as a matchmaker and help you fall in love with Groningen.
Groningen is a one-of-a-kind mix of youth and history, nightlife and academia, and long-term locals living side-by-side with newcomers from all over the world. With so much to choose from for all ages, City Central asked our followers about their favorites places in Groningen and what they think makes it such a one-of-a-kind place to call home – here are their tips for some extra special spots in and around the city to enjoy solo, or with some good company!
Discover the best of Groningen
- Stroll along the cobblestones and admire the historic warehouses and handsome house boats along the Hoge and Lage der A
- Tuck into some artisanal baked goods from Omni (especially during the spring and summer at the tea house in the Prinsentuin)
- Sample the excellent coffee offerings all along the Oude Kijk in ‘t Jatstraat, from Black and Bloom to PS! and Mas Mas (and more)
- Find your new favorite indie band at VERA and the best up-and-coming hip hop acts at Simplon
- Stop and smell the flowers in the parks – not just the beloved Noorderplantsoen, but the hidden gems of the Oosterpark (Pioenpark) and West Indischebuurt (Molukkenplantsoen)
- Catch a world-class documentary, explore an interactive exhibit, enjoy fine dining, or just check out a new book all at the same place: Forum Groningen
- Enjoy some scrumptious vegan and vegetarian sweets at Mahalo
- Bike beyond the city limits and chill with some windmills, like the Noordermolen in Noorddijk, and the picturesque Helper Molen along the shore of the Paterswoldsemeer
- Go crocus spotting in the magical little park behind the Martini Tower
- Sip on some brown sugar bobo and other refreshing teas at Moong
- Find the perfect reading tree in the Stadspark and lose yourself for a couple of hours with a good book
- Play some board games and soak up the retro vibes at Kult
- Get inspired by the power of modern dance and storytelling at NNT with Club Guy & Roni
- Take part in a lively discussion on all things cultural, critical, and social at De Graanpubliek literary café.
If you’re looking for some more inspiration, have a look at this piece on unique date night destinations!