Vacancy – Climate Adaptation Youth Summit
We’re looking for young organizers, connectors and activists who’d like to play a role on the organization of the Climate Adaptation Youth Summit. Would you like to be involved and contribute to this event? Then make sure to read up on the information below and contact us! Or fill in this application form.
Climate Adaptation Youth Summit
Youth have a very important role during the Climate Week. And they deserve to have that, there’s no group in society that stands up for climate more than youth. Youth from Groningen, the Netherlands and countries from all over the world will work on a call to action, which they will present to the worldleaders who will gather at the Climate Adaptation Summit.
By youth for youth
‘By youth for youth’ is a key principle for the Climate Adaptation Youth Summit, which will be held on January 22nd 2021 in Groningen. Who better than youth itself can organize this event? A big group of youth will devise the event, make the decisions and contribute in organizing the event. That’s why we want you to join!
We’re looking for a large group of people who will do different jobs and activities to organize the event with us. Have a look at the vacancy below.
Climate Adaptation Summit
The climate is changing and the effects of this are becoming more visible with each day. It is due time to start thinking about how we can deal with these changes. This has led to the first international ‘Climate Adaptation Summit’, which will be held on the 25th of January 2021. During this event, world leaders will come together to discuss climate adaptation, make agreements and turn to action. Because it is primarily the younger generation who will have to deal with a world of climate change, the youth will be given a voice at the Summit. There, they will be given the opportunity to express a text or call to action, which can be adopted by the summit as a joint declaration. This message will be put together during the Climate Adaptation Youth Summit, which will be organized in Groningen on the 22nd of January 2021.
Climate Adaptation Youth Summit Groningen
The youth summit will be organized on behalf of the Municipality of Groningen, the Province of Groningen and the Global Centre on Adaptation. During the event, we’ll bring youth from all corners of the world together to talk about climate adaptation. These talks will be focused on 3 themes:
- Connect – Youth who are interested in or working with climate adaptation should be connected throughout the world.
- Exchange – Furthermore, there is a need to raise awareness on the topic and to exchange knowledge, experiences and skills that young people have on the topic.
- Message – Additionally, it is important that those people and their knowledge and experience are brought together in a joint message that can be shared during the Summit. So that youth from all over the world can be mobilized and inspired for local interventions.
All of this takes place in the city of Groningen, where we’ll bring 500 young people from the region and the rest of the world together.
To ensure that the whole event is a product of the youth, we’re handing over the ropes and put young people in charge of organizing the event. By youth and for youth, so to say. Depending on the number of applicants, we’ll set up various workgroups. Each work group takes on a specific role, consisting of responsibilities and tasks that are all necessary for a successful youth congress. These roles are: logistics, sustainability, program, marketing, impact and representation. For more information on these roles and the associated tasks and responsibilities, you can read up on them through this link.
We’re specifically looking for young people who:
- Are between the age of 16 and 25;
- Live in the northern provinces, regardless of education or background;
- Are comfortable with communicating in Dutch and English;
- Want to contribute to the topics of climate change and climate adaptation;
- Want to engage themselves in the organization for several hours a week between February 2020 and January 2021;
- Are willing to occasionally meet outside of the city of Groningen (within the northern provinces);
- Are willing to push themselves and set high bars for the event;
What we can offer you as member of the youth team:
- The chance to gain work experience and develop a network within climate and climate adaptation;
- Personal development through masterclasses, coaching and training;
- A certificate to showcase your achieved skills and knowledge on the topic of climate adaptation;
- (If possible) extra study credits if the youth team can be connected to your study program;
- The chance to become part of a unique international experience with global impact.
Do you feel enthusiastic about this unique event and do you want to contribute by becoming a member of the youth team? Then apply by filling in this application form and make sure to shortly explain your motivation. If you have any questions or doubts relating to the information above, feel free to contact us:
- Marian van Voorn, Jongerentop Groningen:
firstname.lastname@example.org, 06 183 196 35
- Rob Appels, Province of Groningen:
email@example.com, 06 150 681 71