Groningen is the second tech city in the Netherlands for five years in a row now. Campus Groningen is the fastest growing start-up campus in the Netherlands and home to many tech companies. Founded in Groningen provides an overview of the local tech and digital ecosystem.
Recent developments in the Groningen digital sector worth highlighting include:
- Annual Blockchain Hackathon (biggest worldwide)
- First European 5G field lab launched in 2018
- Cybersecurity programme launched in 2018 in triple-helix partnership
- Digital Literacy Coalition launched in 2018
- Urban Data Centre launched in 2017
Tech companies IBM and Google are located in the province, with Google recently expanding its data centre in the Eemshaven. In terms of infrastructure, the Eemshaven is considered a top European dataport.
The study programmes in artificial intelligence, information science and media studies at the University of Groningen have been judged ‘best in category’ in the most recent survey of higher education in the Netherlands. The Hanze University of Applied Sciences Groningen hosts the Digital Society Hub, where researchers and companies work together on digital innovation.