Being at home with a baby can be an isolating experience. Here we line-up some of the cafés, groups and organisations which can help you to connect with other young parents in the city.
Cafés for kids
Many cafés have a play corner suitable for young children. In the city of Groningen there are several cafés which are explicitly baby-friendly and which host regular parent group meet-ups.
- Hartendief - café and shop
- Musjes - eco baby clothing with café
- Het Heerenhuis good indoor play area for slightly older kids and breastfeeding area.
- Cafe de Stadstuin on the Hereweg - indoor play area.
Out of town there are also many locations which are baby and child-friendly. For instance:
- Kaap Hoorn on the Hoornse Meer has a good indoor and outdoor play area for kids.
- Garnwerd aan Zee is a slightly longer bike-ride away but has a great outdoor play area for kids on a summer’s day
- Mikkelhorst on the edge of Haren is a so-called ‘care-farm’ with daycare for handicapped children. Has an organic café and play area.
Meeting other parents
- Connect International - English-speaking events for international parents in and around the city of Groningen
- Groningen Mamas - Facebook group for both international and Dutch moms with regular community organised events
- Moeders informeren Moeders - volunteer group for mothers to support other new mothers, Dutch website but English-speaking support is possible
- Ouder en Kind café - regular support group (Dutch language) run through the public library
- Other library-based events encourage interaction between Dutch and international residents - active throughout the province
- Moeders in Groningen - Dutch blog for parents in Groningen
- Ask at your local Consultation Bureau for other parental support groups - active all over the province.