Go directly to content

To make your visit to our website even easier and more personal we use cookies (and comparable techniques). With this cookies we and third parties are able to collect information about you and your internet behaviour on our website (and possibly outside of our website). With this information we and third parties are able to adapt content to your interests and profile. In addition, cookies allow us to share information through social media. You can read more about our cookie policy on this page.

Register your move

Stadhuis vanaf martinitoren

Moving within the Netherlands

When you move from a different municipality in the Netherlands to Groningen or move within Groningen, you need to register your new address within 5 days.

Registering at the municipality

If you are moving to Groningen from abroad, you need to register at the municipality within 5 days after your arrival. Registration is necessary, because you will only receive a citizen service number (BSN) when you are officially registered. You need a BSN to study or work in the Netherlands. You also need a BSN to make use of all other official matters, such as healthcare, insurance, a bank account and to apply for benefits or an allowance. In some cases, the International Welcome Center North may be able to help you go through this process.

Registering for a short stay

Even if you are going to live, study or work in Groningen for less than four months, you need to get registered at the municipality as a non-resident. Once you are registered, you will receive a citizen service number (BSN). You will need a BSN as an employee and as a student, but you also require a BSN for all official matters such as healthcare, insurance or a bank account.

Citizen service number (BSN)

Read more about the Dutch citizen service number (BSN) on I Am Expat.